40 Chromebook tips for limit capability | Computerworld
November 18, 2017 - chromebook
Chromebooks competence be all about simplicity, though don’t be fooled: Beneath their discerning outdoor covering lies a web of modernized options. And we don’t have to be a energy user to welcome it.
Make your approach by these 40 tips, and you’ll be zipping around Chrome OS like a pro in no time.
Getting around Chrome OS
1. The Chrome OS launcher — a app-drawer-like interface that appears when we daub a Search pivotal or strike a round idol in a lower-left dilemma of a shade — is indeed a absolute concept hunt tool. Just start typing as shortly as it appears, and we can find and open apps, lift adult websites and even get answers to specific questions right afterwards and there.
2. The launcher has some dark additional powers, too. Try typing in calculations (“172.4/3”), for instance, or territory conversions (“14.9 feet to meters”) for discerning answers.
3. Chrome OS has an out-of-sight onscreen by-pass for accessing a launcher on touch-screen Chromebooks, that is generally useful when you’re using a Chromebook as a tablet: Simply appropriate adult from an open area during a bottom of a screen, and — just like with Android on Google’s Pixel phones — a launcher will appear.
4. If we have a touch-screen Chromebook, we can censor a shelf — a quarrel of pinned “favorites” during a bottom of your shade — by swiping downward on it anytime we have an app or window open. Swipe behind adult in that same area to make it return.
(You can also set a shelf to be dark by default on any Chrome OS device by right-clicking a shelf and selecting “Autohide shelf” on a menu that appears. That’ll means a shelf to sojourn invisible in a customary non-tablet keyboard mode and to seem usually when your rodent moves over that area of a screen.)
5. Quickly open any object on your shelf by dire Alt and afterwards a series pivotal that corresponds with a position: Alt-1 for a initial app in a list, Alt-2 for a second and so on.
6. Got a Chromebook with a stylus? You can take records right from a tighten shade with a Google Keep Android app. Install a app and afterwards demeanour in a “Stylus” territory of your device’s settings to make certain a choice for lock-screen note-taking is enabled. Once it’s active, you’ll see an idol in a upper-right dilemma of your tighten shade that’ll let we baloney away.
Managing apps and windows
7. You competence not comprehend it, though your Chromebook has a accessible Overview interface for handling open apps and windows. You can get to it by dire a symbol that looks like a box with dual lines on your keyboard (in a duty row, directly to a left of a liughtness controls) or by dire a likewise made idol that appears in a lower-right dilemma of a shade when a Chromebook is in a inscription mode. You can also appropriate downward with 3 fingers on your trackpad to open it anytime (and afterwards appropriate behind ceiling with 3 fingers to tighten it and lapse to your many recently active app or window).
8. If we have a lot of apps and windows open, try going into Overview and afterwards typing a name of a routine we want. The complement will gray out nonmatching equipment as we form and prominence usually those that embody whatever letters you’ve entered.
9. Prefer a faster Alt-Tab-like routine of switching between processes? Your Chromebook has that, too — utterly literally: Just press Alt-Tab once to toggle behind and onward between your dual many recently used apps or windows, or press and reason Alt-Tab to lift adult a discerning switching application that’ll let we add-on between all of your actively open items.
10. Snap any app or window to possibly side of your shade by attack possibly Alt and [ (left bracket) to snap it to a left side or Alt and ] (right bracket) for a right side. Repeat a authority a second time to lapse a app or window to a strange position.
11. Minimize an app or window by dire Alt and – (the reduction key).
12. Maximize an app or window by dire Alt and + (the and key).
13. Give your Chromebook’s apps a small classification by formulating folders within a Chrome OS launcher. All you’ve gotta do is click or daub on any app and afterwards drag it on tip of another app’s icon. To take an app out of a folder, click or daub it and afterwards drag it toward a tip of a screen.
Getting around a web
14. Within a unchanging browser window, appropriate left on your trackpad with dual fingers to go behind a page or appropriate right to go forward.
15. In a window with mixed tabs, appropriate left or right on your trackpad with 3 fingers to pierce among a tabs.
16. Next time we wish to open a couple as a new tab, save yourself a step and simply click a couple with 3 fingers on your trackpad. It’ll automatically open into a new add-on in a credentials — no right-clicking and menu-selecting required.
17. Close a add-on fast by hovering over a pretension bar and afterwards clicking your Chromebook trackpad with 3 fingers.
18. Pull adult a browser’s crawl menu in a jiff by attack Alt-E while in an active window.
19. Need to open adult a new browser window from a Chrome OS desktop — or flattering most anywhere else in a handling system? Just strike Ctrl-N.
20. If we have a by-pass to a website in your Chromebook’s launcher or shelf — like to Gmail, for instance — and we wish it to demeanour some-more like a unchanging app, though a browser-oriented elements, right-click a idol and name “Open as window.” You can also reason a Shift pivotal and click any idol to do this once though changing a default behavior.
21. Chromebooks are all about a cloud and gripping your information eternally synced — though by default, any files we download are indeed stored in a internal device folder. Fix that by opening adult your Chromebook’s settings, scrolling to a bottom and selecting “Advanced.” Find a line labeled “Location” underneath a “Downloads” header. Click “Change” and name a folder (or make a new downloads-specific folder) within your Google Drive storage. Now, anything we download will automatically be saved to Drive and now accessible wherever we pointer in.
22. Want your Chromebook to confederate with cloud storage over usually Google Drive? No problem: Open adult Chrome OS’s Files app and click a “Add new services” choice during a bottom of a left panel. There, you’ll find elementary add-ons for bringing Dropbox, OneDrive and other remote storage services into a Files app for system-wide use.
23. You can emanate tradition shortcuts to ordinarily used folders — from possibly your internal storage or any connected cloud use — in a left quarrel of your Chromebook’s Files app for easy ongoing access. Find a folder we wish and right-click it (or click it regulating dual fingers on a trackpad), afterwards name “Create shortcut” to supplement it into a list.
24. Speaking of your Files app, we can fast open it anytime by attack Shift-Alt-M.
25. While in a Files app, we can switch between opposite sections by attack Ctrl and afterwards a series keys that conform with their position (Ctrl-1 for Google Drive, Ctrl-4 for Images and so on).
26. Chrome OS’s Files app has a built-in print editor that’s ideal for elementary picture manipulation. While observation an picture in Files, click a pencil-shaped idol in a upper-right dilemma — or strike “e” on your keyboard — to get started.
27. Your Android phone can offer as a practical pivotal to your Chromebook. All we have to do is set adult Smart Lock, that lets we equivocate typing in your cue whenever your phone is unbarred and nearby. Open a “Screen lock” territory of your Chromebook’s settings to capacitate a underline and configure a options (including how tighten your Android phone needs to be in sequence to qualify).
28. If you’re regulating a automobile Chromebook as a tablet, we substantially don’t wish to form in your full cue on a hulk practical keyboard each time a complement wakes adult — generally if you’re in a open place with lots of erratic eyes. Luckily, there’s a improved way: In that same “Screen lock” territory of your device’s settings, you’ll find an choice to emanate a PIN that can be tapped in some-more discreetly on a screen, identical to how you’d clear a phone.
29. Let someone else use your Chromebook though gaining entrance to all your information with a assistance of Chrome OS’s Guest Mode. Just demeanour for a “Browse as Guest” choice on a tighten screen. It’ll open adult an incognito-like sourroundings where no personal or account-related information is accessible and zero that happens is saved over that session.
30. By default, Chromebooks make it easy for anyone to supplement an comment and pointer in from a tighten shade — something we competence not wish to have occur on your work device. You can spin this underline off by opening a “Manage other people” territory in your Chromebook’s settings. Activate a toggle subsequent to a line labeled “Restrict sign-in to a following users” and afterwards make certain usually your comment and any others we wish on a device are enclosed in a list.
31. Next time you’re stepping divided from your Chromebook, secure it fast by attack a Search pivotal and afterwards L. That’ll take we behind to a tighten shade and a comment sign-in prompt.
32. If we wish to go a step further, attack Ctrl-Shift-Q twice will pointer we out of a Chromebook completely, no matter where we are in a complement or what you’re doing.
Embracing complement tools
33. Chromebooks now have mixed ways to constraint screenshots, 3 of that are quite useful: To constraint a whole screen, possibly strike Ctrl and a Overview pivotal if your earthy keyboard is handy, or press your device’s earthy energy and volume-down buttons if you’re regulating a Chromebook in a inscription mode. To constraint a specific singular area of a screen, strike Ctrl, Shift and a Overview key.
34. Need to focus? Open adult Chrome OS’s presentation quarrel — during a bottom-right of a shade — and click a bell icon. That’ll put your Chromebook into Do Not Disturb mode, and no new notifications will arrive and warning you.
35. You can also extent that apps and processes are authorised to forewarn we in general. Just click a rigging idol within a presentation quarrel and afterwards uncheck any titles we don’t wish to be means to beget alerts.
36. If your Chromebook is using solemnly or an app is behaving up, reason a Search pivotal and afterwards strike Esc to open Chrome OS’s Task Manager. There, we can see memory and CPU use for each active routine and manually finish any object as needed.
37. Pressing Alt and afterwards a liughtness adult or down keys (in your keyboard’s duty row) will let we manually adjust your keyboard’s backlighting — assuming, of course, that your Chromebook has a backlit keyboard.
38. Stylus users, listen up: If your Chromebook came with a connected stylus, be certain to demeanour for a stylus menu in a lower-right dilemma of a shade (alongside a settings and presentation panels). It’ll give we quick-tap options for changing your stylus’s stream duty and holding full advantage of all it can do.
Breaking down boundaries
39. Don’t forget about Chrome Remote Desktop. It’s a elementary and effective approach to entrance another mechanism (Windows, Mac, Chrome OS or Linux) from your Chromebook though any dear or difficult software.
40. Want to use a browser other than Chrome on your Chromebook for a while? That’s indeed now possible, interjection to a accessibility of Android apps on Chromebooks. Provided your Chromebook is new adequate to support a Google Play Store, usually open it adult and take your pick. You can implement common favorites like Firefox and Opera along with some-more niche-oriented titles like Dolphin and Puffin.
Heck, if we unequivocally wish to get crazy, we can even implement a Chrome Android app and run it on your Chromebook. Just be prepared to see a spook of M.C. Escher cackling off in a distance.